- Travel to Chorrol to visit Modryn Oreyn.
- He will send you to Glademist Cave to capture Ajum-Kajin.
- Work your way through the caves, defeating members of Blackwood as you go.
- When you reach Ajum-Kajin, talk to him and he will agree to follow you back to Modryn.
- Return to Modryn's house and speak with him. You must do whatever is necessary to make Ajum-Kajin talk.
- Ajum-Kajin will answer the first two questions, but will kill himself rather than answer the third.
- Talk to Modryn Oreyn again. He will give you an Amulet of Interrogation as your reward.
Kidnapping Is a Fine Art
Make your way to Chorrol and visit your old friend Modryn Oreyn. By now, the Blackwood Company is getting out of hand, and they must be brought down for the good of the Fighters Guild and everyone involved in their ways. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell where to start or what the source of their unyielding power is. Modryn tells you that a certain Argonian member of Blackwood has taken shelter in the nearby Glademist Cave. This particular Argonian is very high up on the chain of command, but that unfortunately makes him a difficult target, especially for a live kidnapping. Nonetheless, Blackwood must be rooted up and destroyed, and you are the only individual willing and able to do so. Glademist Cave is to the northeast along the Orange Road. Make your way inside and destroy all the guards within. The cave has only one zone, but contains its fair share of occupants. They may be clustered together, so use best judgment when dealing with them.
Hand Me the Calipers
Once you reach the end of the cave, speak with Ajum-Kajin. Knowing he can't beat someone who just obliterated a small army of guards, he'll agree to follow you back to Chorrol. He will not follow you if any of his guards are alive. Make your way back to Modryn's house and tell him that you've brought Ajum-Kajin with you. Modryn tells you to sit the Argonian down and get the information you need about Blackwood from him one way or another. Tell Ajum-Kajin to sit down and he'll know immediately what your plans are, giving you the silent treatment from here on in. Once he sits down, you have two choices in order to gather information from him: sweet-talking him or beating his life out on the wall.
Option 1: Speech Deception
Speak with Ajum-Kajin and raise his disposition up to 90. This can be accomplished through Persuasion, Charm spells or bribes. Once he is friendly enough with you, exit his dialogue screen and you'll get a message stating he is ready to talk. Ask him all three questions at your disposal, of which he will answer only the first. Exit the talk screen and again you'll get a message stating he is ready to talk again. Ask him the remaining two, of which he will again answer only the first.
Option 2: Painting the Walls Red
For this method, a fists-only approach works best, as Ajum-Kajin may die from weapon attacks before he answers all your questions. So prepare to improve your hand-to-hand skill and lay some blows down on this living statue. After a few decent licks, you'll receive the message stating he is ready to talk. Ask him all three questions, of which he will answer only the first. Exit the dialogue screen and really let him know that you aren't playing games here. After a few more blows, you'll get another message stating he is ready to spill something other than blood. Ask him the remaining two questions, of which he will answer only the first. Be warned that taking the interrogation too far can result in Ajum-Kajin's death.
After Ajum-Kajin has answered two of your questions he will choose suicide over further betrayal. Using his hidden Blackwood Ring of Silence, he burns himself alive right there on the spot. (The ring's name gives some forewarning as to just how depraved and sick the roots of Blackwood might be.)
After the Argonian roasts, Modryn Oreyn tells you the next step is to infiltrate Blackwood and its ranks so you can investigate the answer to the final question. He also rewards you with a leveled amulet called the Amulet of Interrogation, which fortifies Hand to Hand and Speechcraft. You do not receive any official gold or fame for this quest, but you will find some gold on Ajum-Kajin's corpse.
If you decided to bribe Ajum-Kajin earlier, you can also get your gold back. If you killed Ajum-Kajin, Oreyn will be displeased and will not reward you with the amulet.
- The Amulet of Interrogation provided as a reward for this quest is a leveled item, but the levels are out of order. You will receive the best amulet if you are between levels 5 and 9, and becomes less powerful once you reach level 10. You should try to complete this quest before level 10. However, keep in mind that one of the earlier Fighters Guild quests -namely, Mystery at Harlun's Watch - is also glitched, and doing this quest after level 10 nets you the best reward. It is to your advantage to decide which item you like best, and do the quests either before or after level 10. See Quest Timing for an overview of all the Fighters Guild quests with unusual leveled items.
- This issue has been addressed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch; the rewards for both quests are now leveled correctly.
- Sometimes, Ajum-Kajin will get stuck behind the chair when you tell him to sit down.
- If this happens, use the console to disable him, then use the console again to enable him. He should show up next to you, and not be trapped behind the chair.
- If you use a spell or an item with the Damage Fatigue effect, Ajum-Kajin will be knocked down, then will stand up. He will not sit down again and you cannot talk to him. The only way to complete the quest is to kill him, sacrificing the reward.
- This bug is fixed by the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.
- If you charm or attack Ajum-Kajin before telling him to sit down, you will not be able to ask him any questions, and therefore be unable to finish the quest without killing him.
- Not all Journal Entries may appear in your journal; which entries appear and which entries do not depends on the manner in which the quest is done.
- Stages are not always in order of progress. This is usually the case with quests that have multiple possible outcomes or quests where certain tasks may be done in random order.
- If an entry is marked as "Finishes Quest" it means the quest disappears from the Active Quest list, but you may still receive new entries for that quest.
- It is possible to use the console to advance through the quest by entering
setstage FGD07Kidnap stage, where
stageis the number of the stage you wish to complete. It is not possible to un-complete (i.e. go back) quest stages. See SetStage for more information.
|Prev: The Stone of St. Alessia and
Mystery at Harlun's Watch
|Up: Fighters Guild||Next: Infiltration|