Athletics is the skill that determines how quickly you run and swim. As your level increases, your Fatigue regenerates progressively faster when running.
- A Novice regenerates two Fatigue per second when running.
- An Apprentice regenerates four Fatigue per second when running.
- A Journeyman regenerates six Fatigue per second when running.
- An Expert regenerates eight Fatigue per second when running.
- A Master regenerates the full ten Fatigue per second, whether they run or not.
- Your athletics skill level determines how quickly you run and swim; see Movement Formulas for details.
Your athletics skill increases by 0.03 points for every second (real time) spent running, and 0.04 points for every second spent swimming. (No athletics skill is gained if you are sneaking while running).
Because you gain athletics skill whenever your character runs, you will tend to constantly (but slowly) gain athletics skill. One implication because of this is that it is very difficult to control athletics skill increases.
Tricks to increase your athletics skill somewhat more artificially include:
- Leave your character running against an obstacle for a long period of time. PC users can just toggle the auto move feature (Q key by default). Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 users can tie a rubber band around the controller's left thumbstick so that the character runs constantly.
- Swimming increases athletics faster than running. Try using a Water Breathing spell or enchantment, especially if you want to leave your character auto-swimming (using the same methods described as in the previous note). As Argonians have Water Breathing as a natural ability, no such spell or enchantment is necessary.
- Increasing Skills: General tips on how to improve your skills semi-naturally.
- Trainers: Pay for athletics lessons.
- Athletics Training: Prove to an expert athlete that you are well-traveled enough to receive master training.
- Skill Books: Books that provide lessons in athletics.
- Increasing Attributes: Tips on training skills to improve the Speed attribute.
- Free Skill Boosts: one free athletics skill boost (for three points) is available by completing the Origin of the Gray Prince quest; athletics bonuses are also available to Vampires.
- Magic Items: There are multiple generic items with the fortify athletics enchantment.
- Unique Items: A list of unique items, some of which fortify the athletics skill. These do not include Leveled Items such as those received from quests, or Artifacts.
- Unique items include:
- Monkeypants is a pair of light greaves that can be obtained from Suurootan at Novaroma. Among other enchantments, the greaves fortify your athletics skill by 10 points.
- Jewel of the Rumare is a ring awarded at the end of the quest Go Fish. It fortifies athletics by 4 points and also provides Water Breathing.
- Nistor's Boots are a unique pair of boots that can be obtained from Elsynia at the Best Goods and Guarantees. Among other enchantments, the boots fortify your athletics skill by 5 points.
When your skill level reaches 70 or higher, people will start saying: "You're a fit one. Been running a lot?"
The following races provide initial skill bonuses in athletics:
The following standard classes include athletics as a major skill:
The following table provides the messages that are displayed when your Athletics skill levels up.
|Apprentice||'Why walk when you can run' has always been your motto. Now the miles of running and hours of swimming have paid off. You are an Apprentice of Athletics. Your rate of fatigue regeneration when running is increased by 25%.|
|Journeyman||'Why walk when you can run' has always been your motto. Now the miles of running and hours of swimming have paid off. You are a Journeyman of Athletics. Your rate of fatigue regeneration when running is increased by 50%.|
|Expert||'Why walk when you can run' has always been your motto. Now the miles of running and hours of swimming have paid off. You are an Expert of Athletics. Your rate of fatigue regeneration when running is increased by 75%.|
|Master||'Why walk when you can run' has always been your motto. Now the miles of running and hours of swimming have paid off. You are a Master of Athletics. Running never reduces your rate of fatigue regeneration.|
- Athletics is one of only two skills (the other is acrobatics) that can be meaningfully fortified above 100. Increasing athletics past 100 continues to increase the character's run speed, up to a maximum value of 255. On the other hand, athletics is not modified by your character's luck.
- Once your Jone heaven doomstone to receive the greater power Jone's Shadow. One of several benefits of this power is that it fortifies your athletics skill 30 points once a day for 120 seconds. reaches 10, you can visit the