|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Meet with Crassius Curio in the Curio Manor, Vivec Hlaalu Plaza, to receive an overview of the Hlaalu councilors.
- Get Curio's vote for Hortator.
- Find Yngling Half-Troll in Vivec, St. Olms Plaza, Yngling Manor, and get his vote (gold required).
- Find Dram Bero hidden in the Haunted Manor, St. Olms, and get his vote.
- Learn about Orvas Dren from Dram Bero.
- Take care of Orvas Dren in the Dren Plantation, north of Vivec.
- Find Velanda Omani in Omani Manor on Elmas Island, east of the St. Olms Canton, and get her vote.
- Find Nevena Ules in Ules Manor, just west of Suran (east of the Dren Plantation, and northeast of Vivec) and get her vote.
- Return to Curio to be named the Hortator of House Hlaalu.
This quest is part of convincing each of the three Great Houses to name you their Hortator. The exact order you approach the houses in is not important. Again, you must visit all the council members of the House to convince them to vote for you. If you don't already have one, Nileno Dorvayn will supply you with a copy of the Yellow Book of 3E 426 which lists all the members, and for 50 drakes she will direct you to Crassius Curio. The members are: Crassius Curio, Yngling Half-Troll, Dram Bero, Nevana Ules, and Velanda Omani.
Crassius Curio, downstairs in the Curio Manor in Vivec, Hlaalu Plaza, will support you for a little favor. If he likes you (70 disposition), he just wants a kiss. Otherwise, it's 500 gold for Hlaalu members, 1000 for non-members. Curio also has some good advice on the other council members. You get a +30 disposition increase if you kiss him, +10 if you give him the gold. Another option is to bribe him with 1000 gold (which will increase his disposition to 100) or a few 100's and then kiss him, bringing the price down and making him like you more.
Yngling Half-Troll is in Vivec, St. Olms Canton Plaza, Yngling Manor. He'll ask for 1000 gold if you're a member, or 2000 otherwise. An alternate route is to actually kill Yngling, which is quite alright with the other council members if you talk to them about it (such as Dram Bero). But beware; if you talk to one of the other counselors and attack Yngling, everyone else in his house will open the door and help to finish you off. A good opportunity to kill him will provide itself during the Yngling's Ledger quest - refusing to give him the ledger will provoke an attack.
Dram Bero is hidden in the basement of the Haunted Manor in St. Olms Plaza. The basement door is locked (there are lockpicks under a table in the first room). You merely have to talk to him to get his vote. He'll mention that Velanda and Nevena are loyal to Orvas Dren, the brother of the Duke who has a large plantation in the Ascadian Isles (see below).
Taking Care of Orvas Dren
In order to convince Velanda and Nevena, you must take care of Orvas Dren first, which may mean a number of things. You can just kill him, but he is well armed and has a few good bodyguards. You can blackmail him if you obtain some papers locked in his basement (his bodyguard has the key: another one lies on a shelf near Dren himself, if you have a good enough combination of Chameleon, Invisibility and Sneaking skill to steal it). Or, if you can raise his disposition high enough, you can talk to him about protecting Morrowind from the Empire, resulting in Dren giving you his vote for Hortator. If you're in House Hlaalu and you've done the quest to take over the Camonna Tong, Dren should just give it up and say he'll use his influence on his two puppet councilors. Of course, if you completed that quest by killing him and breaking the link between Hlaalu and the Camonnas, rather than taking them over, there won't be a problem...
There appears to be no way to show Dren's incriminating note to his brother, Duke Vedam Dren.
Talk with Velanda and Nevena
Once Orvas is taken care of, you can continue and talk to Velanda and Nevena. Velanda is in Omani Manor on Elmas Island, east of the Vivec St. Olms Canton. Nevena is in Ules Manor, directly west of Suran's House of Earthly Delights (directly east of the Dren Plantation, and northeast of Vivec). The manor is surrounded by slaves (there is no key to free them). Once you talk to each of the two councilors about the Hlaalu Hortator, they hastily give you their vote.
Return to Curio
- Although you don't have to talk to Nileno Dorvayn, her disposition increases by ten if you do. It drops by ten if you can't afford to buy a copy of the book from her.
- Telling Orvas Dren that you wish to become Hortator to defeat Dagoth Ur will cause him to attack you, saving you the trouble of fighting his bodyguards.
- You can start this quest before completing The Path of the Incarnate but will be unable to finish it, since there will be no Hlaalu Hortator topic in conversation.
These codes can be used along with the
Journal Console command and quest ID given within the chart to update the quest to a certain point.
Up: Main Quest
Next: Hortator and Nerevarine