|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Eydis Fire-Eye in the Balmora Guild of Fighters about orders and cave rats.
- Visit Drarayne Thelas in Balmora and ask about cave rats.
- Kill the rats in her bedroom and upstairs storage.
- Return to Drarayne for payment.
- Return to Eydis Fire-Eye to complete the quest.
Eydis Fire-Eye in the Balmora Guild of Fighters will give you this quest to exterminate a few cave rats in Drarayne Thelas' house, just across the Odai River in town.
Drarayne's house is located on the east riverbank, in the center of town. Enter Drarayne Thelas's house and have a conversation with her about cave rats. She will inform you that she has one rat closed up in the bedroom and two rats upstairs in her locked storage room, giving you a key to the storage room door. Take out the three rats and return to Drarayne to receive an increase in Disposition and 100 drakes.
Return to Eydis
Return to Eydis Fire-Eye to let her know you've completed your task. Ask about an advancement to receive a possible promotion. Ask about orders if you're ready for your next assignment from her.
- In Drarayne Thelas' bedroom there is a skill book on the shelf (36 Lessons of Vivec, Sermon 20) which increases your Long Blade skill.
- Drarayne has a locked level 20 chest on the shelf in her bedroom; if you have lockpicks, shut the bedroom door and pick the lock to snag some additional drakes.
- Don't forget to check out the loot in the storage room upstairs; nothing expensive, but it can be fenced for additional cash.
- Completing this quest makes it impossible to complete another quest for Drarayne without using the TES Construction Set or a console command. See Thelas' Pillows for more.
- This quest seems to be subtly referenced in one of the first Fighters Guild quests in Oblivion. Arvena Thelas (note the common last name) is also having a rat problem of a different sort.
- This quest can be completed without being a member of the Fighters Guild, but you need to be able to open the (rather high level) lock to the storage room yourself.
- Another way is to first ask Drarayne about cave rats, then ask Eydis about cave rats. Go back to Drarayne and ask again about cave rats. She will give you the key. Kill the rats and talk to Drarayne. Get award.
- When you return to Eydis Fire-Eye after completing this quest and ask for another, she will offer the same quest again. When you ask about the cave rats, she corrects herself and gives you the next mission.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
||Eydis Fire-Eye told me to talk to Drarayne Thelas about some rats that have infested her house. Her house is here in Balmora, on the east side of town, near the river.
||Drarayne Thelas told me that she has one rat trapped in her bedroom and there are others in her storage area upstairs. She has given me the key to get in. I should find and kill all of the rats and return to her when I'm done.
||Drarayne Thelas thanked me for getting rid of the rats and paid me 100 gold.
||I reported to Eydis Fire-Eye that I had killed the rats plaguing Drarayne Thelas.
||Eydis Fire-Eye realized that Drarayne Thelas was dead, and her rat problem was no longer an issue.