|This quest page is currently being rewritten as part of the Morrowind Overhaul Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Talk to Ranis Athrys at the Guild of Mages in Balmora for duties.
- Go to the Eight Plates in town.
- Meet Itermerel and get his notes. You have three options:
- Steal the notes.
- Kill Itermerel to get the notes.
- Agree to escort him to Pelagiad in exchange for the notes.
- Return to Athrys.
Ranis Athrys at the Guild of Mages in Balmora will ask you to get Itermerel's notes. To this end, she sends you to escort him to the Halfway Tavern in Pelagiad (northwest of Vivec, just north of Seyda Neen), but she makes it clear that the notes are all that actually matter.
This quest has several possible outcomes. If you're feeling lazy and you have a high Sneak skill, you can simply pickpocket the notes while Itermerel is still in the Eight Plates. This way saves you the trouble of escorting him all the way to Pelagiad. Another alternative is to agree to escort the Altmer and start on the road to Pelagiad. Once you're safely out of Balmora and away from the guards that patrol the streets there, you can kill Itermerel without fear. Just strip his corpse of his notes and head back to Ranis. Of course, there is always the option of escorting him all the way to Pelagiad. Once you reach the Halfway Tavern, he will gladly hand over the notes. The reward doesn't depend on the way you achieve your goal, so act however you want.
- Killing Itermerel (or Tashpi Ashibael in a later quest) will prevent you from pursuing the alternate ending of Catch a Spy.
- Use caution when traveling with Itermerel as his offensive spells have a large area effect to them. Use ranged spells and ranged weaponry when fighting enemies you encounter if you don't want to get hit by his spells.
- When Ranis asks you for the notes, if you tell her you do not have them, your disposition with her drops by 5. If you tell her you do have them, and you do not, there is no such penalty.
- On rare occasions, if you attack Itermerel on your way to Pelagiad and manage to get yourself killed by him in water, when you reload your last save, the game will think that Itermerel is in Pelagiad, Quest Stage 70 will be set, and therefore the journey to Pelagiad gets skipped.
The following Quest_ID and Index codes can be used with the
Journal Console command to manually update the quest to a certain point.
|Escort Itermerel (MG_EscortScholar2)
||Ranis Athrys asked me to escort the scholar Itermerel, who is staying at the Eight Plates, to Pelagiad. What Ranis really wants, however, is a copy of Itermerel's notes.
||I asked Itermerel to follow me to Pelagiad.
||Itermerel arrived safely in Pelagiad.
||Itermerel gave me a copy of his notes.
||I delivered Itermerel's notes to Ranis.