|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
|Appears in||Skyrim, ESO|
Sovngarde is the storied underworld of the Nords, a part of Aetherius where the greatest Nord heroes go when they die to enjoy an eternity of feasting and merriment.:631 It is ruled by Shor and contains the Hall of Valor, a supposedly gigantic feasting hall where the mead "flows like a waterfall". Those who cross the threshold of the living and entered the afterlife are greeted below the red glow of the eternal sunset, following the pathway down between the mammoth tusks and the monolithic cowled statues and into the valley of mists—the Shadowed Vale.:150 Tsun currently guards the mythical Whalebone Bridge past the Vale, which leads to the Hall of Valor. At Shor's bidding, he has taken on the role of the master of trials, asking new arrivals to the utopia to prove their strength in combat against him before they can enter Shor's Hall.
Except in rare cases where one forces a way into Sovngarde, it can supposedly only be reached by true Nords who die valiantly or in battle, regardless of personality. This excludes those afflicted with Lycanthropy, as Hircine takes them to his Hunting Grounds instead.
Some time ago, the necromancer, Azaran the Cruel attempted to bind the dead souls of Sovngarde to the living world but failed. He was later buried somewhere in Skyrim. In 2E 582, Fildgor Orc-Thane used his royal blood to enter Sovngarde, and attempted to fuse his soul with that of his dead sister Nurnhilde in order to usurp the throne. In 4E 201, Alduin retreated there to ensnare and feast upon the souls of the dead. He was killed by the Last Dragonborn, who fought alongside the spirits of Gormlaith Golden-Hilt, Felldir the Old and Hakon One-Eye.
- The Road to Sovngarde — An overview of the Nordic afterlife
- Sovngarde, a Reexamination by Bereditte Jastal — Speculation regarding Sovngarde, the Nordic Hall of Valor
- A Dream of Sovngarde by Skardan Free-Winter — A soldier's tale of his dream before battle
- The Road to Sovngarde
- Events of Skyrim
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Prima Official Game Guide — David Hodgson
- Eydvina's Note
- Tsun's dialogue in Skyrim.
- Sovngarde, a Reexamination — Bereditte Jastal
- Kodlak's Journal — Kodlak Whitemane
- Become Ethereal third word wall in Skyrim
- Songs of Sovngarde quest in ESO
- Dragonslayer quest in Skyrim