|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
Senchal is a major city in Pellitine in southeastern Elsweyr, and is located on the Quin'rawl Peninsula. According to Khajiit mythology, Rajhin, thief god of the Khajiiti, spent his childhood and adolescence in the Black Kiergo quarter of Senchal.
In the early First Era, Senchal was one of sixteen sovereign states in Elsweyr and engaged in trade with its neighbors. The city was said to dominate Elsweyr when the moons of Masser and Secunda were new. The Thrassian Plague of 1E 2260 devastated Elsweyr and a weakened Senchal was annexed by the Kingdom of Pellitine. By 1E 2920, Senchal had become part of the Cyrodilic Empire, and had separated from Pellitine and was ruled by King Dro'Zel and his consort Queen Hasaama. Versidue-Shaie, Potentate of the Cyrodilic Empire, was assassinated by agents of the Morag Tong at his palace in Senchal in 2E 324.
Senchal was later plagued by a strain of the Knahaten Flu from Argonia in 2E 560, and is first recorded on Sweet Street in the slums of the Black Kiergo quarter from which it spread to the Dagi's Pride and Squint-Eye sections of the city. Many healers travelled to Senchal to help cure the afflicted, and whole districts were destroyed in an attempt to rid the city of the plague. Much of Senchal was abandoned as a result, and lay in ruin as late as 2E 864. Physicians, healers, and supplies from the Kingdom of Alinor helped mitigate the effects of the plague and led Senchal and Elsweyr to become part of the First Aldmeri Dominion in 2E 580. At this time, the city was favoured by pirates and smugglers, and served as a focal point in the movement of illicit goods from Elsweyr into the Cyrodilic Empire. The Pirates of the Abecean Sea were known to make port at Senchal at the time of the Three Banners War.
The city was conquered and sacked by the Third Legion of the Cyrodilic Empire, led by General Pottreid, in the late Second Era. In the Third Era, Senchal was rumored to be a popular destination for Sload necromancers due to its role in the trade in cadavers. The growth of the Moon Sugar trade in Elsweyr in the 5th century of the Third Era transformed the city of Senchal from a drug haven into a coastal resort. Ya'Tirrje, the Gold Cat, a prominent drug-smuggler, was rumored to frequent the city and help fund local law enforcement. Senchal remained part of the Empire of Tamriel until 4E 115, at which point the city became part of the Kingdom of Pellitine, a client state of the Third Aldmeri Dominion.
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Senchal's gladiatorial team would have been called "the New Gods".[oog 1]
- Senchal lends its name to a beverage known as Senchal Dancer Tonic.
- Varieties of Faith... — Brother Mikhael Karkuxor of the Imperial College
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: Sugar and Blood: the Cats of the South — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- 2920, The Last Year of the First Era — Carlovac Townway
- The Brothers of Darkness — Pellarne Assi
- PGE — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- The Eagle and the Cat — Lord Gharesh-ri, Speaker for the Mane
- Journal of Thracius Mento — Thracius Mento
- Loading screens in ESO
- Attrebus' biography on Redguard's official website
- Corpse Preparation v I
- The Great War — Legate Justianus Quintius
- Senchal Dancer Tonic beverage in ESO
Note: the following references are not found in-game. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.