Lore:Isle of Balfiera
|Isle of Balfiera|
The Isle of Balfiera is an island region within the northern portion of Iliac Bay. In the late Third Era, the largest settlement was the town of Upvale, the dominant vampire bloodline was Lyrezi, and the regional deity was Akatosh. Balfiera is known as a neutral meeting place for the kingdoms of High Rock, who use it to facilitate negotiations and treaties. However, the isle is most renowned as the site of the Direnni Tower, formerly the Adamantine Tower, the oldest known structure in Tamriel. Legends say it was constructed on the "little island" by the gods themselves so they could hold their own negotiations. The title for the ruler of the isle is the Castellan of Balfiera, derived from the title originally used for the commander of the tower. The isle survived the Warp in the West as an unconquered territory.
The island came into the hands of the Direnni Clan in the early First Era when Ryain Direnni bought the Isle of Balfiera. The mother of Pelagius the Mad, Utheilla, was of the Direnni blood and brought Pelagius and his siblings here as she fled from the assault brought upon Wayrest by Uriel III and Queen Potema of Solitude. Shortly before the Warp in the West, the island was ruled by Medora Direnni.
- For game-specific information, see the Daggerfall article on the Isle of Balfiera.
- Events of Daggerfall
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: High Rock — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Before the Ages of Man — Aicantar of Shimerene
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: All the Eras of Man, A Comprehensive History of our History — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The Warp in the West — Ulvius Tero
- Rislav the Righteous — Sinjin
- The Madness of Pelagius — Tsathenes