|This page is currently being redesigned for the Lore Places Project (LPP).
The page may need work to meet the standards outlined on the project page.
|Appears in||Arena, ESO|
By the end of the Merethic Era, King Eplear, a Bosmer warlord, united the tribes of Valenwood under his rule, an event traditionally regarded as the beginning of Year Zero of the First Era. This was the first time Arenthia passed to belong to a major realm.
Darloc Brae, known as The Beast of Anequina, led the Anequine Conquests in the Fifth Century of the First Era, when the Cat-Folk soldiers of the Golden Beast ruled the land from the Larsius River to the Strid, seizing the Bosmer city of Arenthia from Valenwood and adding it to his numerous military victories.
In 1E 2714, the city, along with the rest of Valenwood was conquered by the Second Empire, after centuries of unrelenting warfare along the border with Cyrodiil and a plague from Thras. Although the province became occupied by the Imperial Legion, they continued to experienced resistance from some natives for several years.
During the Second Empire, the city was re-founded, building a Colovian-style citadel over the older Bosmer settlement to serve as a center of trade between Colovia, Anequina and Valenwood. The location of Arenthia was military strategic too, reason for what the citadel was heavily fortified with tall walls and defensive towers, and two big stone bridges was constructed to cross the Strid River at this point, which eased the troop movements between Cyrodiil, Valenwood and Elsweyr. From therefore, Arenthia consists of two well differentiated areas: the Imperial-style citadel, to the south, and the Khajiit and Bosmer shantytown, to the north and by the river. The Cathedral of the settlement also was built in this time. 
In 2E 580, Arenthia was incorporated to the First Aldmeri Dominion along with the rest of Camoran-controlled Valenwood after Blacksap Rebellion was put down by Ayrenn and Aeradan Camoran joined forces. In 2E 582, the city was invaded by Colovians under General Lavina, leader of the Legion of the West Weald, and annexed to the Empire of Cyrodiil, only to encounter that the cathedral, the principal symbol of Imperial occupation, have been abandoned during the early years of the Interregnum. Although nominally part of Valenwood, the eminent Khajiit presence in Arenthia elevated a Khajiit woman to leader of the Resistance against Colovian occupation. After the eventual defeat of General Lavinia with the help of the Soulless One, a Clanmother began to rule the settlement in behalf of the Dominion, without discussing if the city should be part of Valenwood or Elsweyr. This situation remained until the eventual dissolution of the Dominion. After this, the majority, if not all, of the Imperials fled the city.
Again in 2E 830, the city was annexed by the Second Aldmeri Dominion after the intervention of Summerset in another Camoran civil war. However, the catastrophic use of the Numidium by Tiber Septim resulted in the conquest of both the entirely of Valenwood and the Summerset Isles in 2E 896, ending the Second Aldmeri Dominion control of the settlement, which was incorporated to the Third Empire.
Since the beginning of the Third Era, Arenthia became part of the Province of Valenwood. Between 3E 249 and 3E 267, it was also reputedly the place where the Camoran Usurper first began his war of conquest, collecting a huge army of daedra and undead before first attacking Valenwood, then Hammerfell and High Rock. For the rest of the Third Era, Arenthia remained an integral part of the Third Empire. The Oblivion Crisis that ended the Third Era and weakened the Empire provided the opportunity for the Thalmor to seized the Summerset Isles. In 4E 29, a Thalmor-backed coup overthrew Valenwood's government, routing Imperial forces and their Bosmer supporters. Alinor and Valenwood then proclaimed a union, and a new Aldmeri Dominion was formed. The city fell into Aldmeri hands for the third time in history.
The city produces a vintage red wine known throughout Tamriel since, at least, the Second Era. Squeezes Boxes, hand-held musical reed instruments played by squeezing them in and out, were made in the city and popular with Colovian travelers by the mid-Second Era.
- Arena was originally conceived as a fighting game featuring a tournament that took the player to each of Tamriel's cities to challenge different gladiatorial teams. According to a file from that stage of development left behind in the final game, Arenthia's gladiatorial team would have been called "the Huntsmen".[oog 1]
- Map of Valenwood
- Text in Arena
- Before the Ages of Man — Aicantar of Shimerene
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 3rd Edition: The Wilds Remain: Valenwood — Imperial Geographical Society, 3E 432
- The description of Khaj Rawlith in ESO
- Rislav the Righteous — Sinjin
- The Fall and Rise of Reman's Bluff — Praetor Aemilianus Lector
- Cohort Briefing: Arenthia — Centurion Iunius Ocella
- Arenthia's architecture and population in ESO
- Welcome to New Aldmeri Irregulars — Aicantar of Shimmerene, Sapiarch of Indoctrination
- The Rise of Cormount
- Events of ESO
- Pocket Guide to the Empire, 1st Edition: Aldmeri Dominion — Imperial Geographical Society, 2E 864
- Brief History of the Empire, Part I — Stronach k'Thojj III, Imperial Historian
- The Fall of the Usurper — Palaux Illthre
- A Concise Account of the Great War Between the Empire and the Aldmeri Dominion — Legate Justianus Quintius
- Malborn's dialogue
- The description of Arenthian Brandy in ESO
- The description of Arenthian Squeeze Box in ESO
Note: the following references are not found in-game. They are included to provide a rounder background to this article, but may not reflect established lore.