Stalhrim is an ancient Nordic enchanted ice that can be used as a crafting material. Once you have obtained the Ebony Smithing perk and completed the quest A New Source of Stalhrim, you can craft stalhrim armor and weapons. All items, except arrows, can be tempered with a sample of stalhrim. Stalhrim heavy armor is equal in quality to dragonplate armor, but lighter. Stalhrim light armor exceeds the quality of glass armor, but is weaker than dragonscale armor (with the exception of the shield). Stalhrim weapons do the same amount of damage as ebony weapons, and weigh less. Resist frost and frost damage enchantments are 25% stronger when placed on stalhrim items. Chaos damage enchantments are also 25% stronger, due to its frost damage effect. Lastly, Stalhrim weapons have higher stagger values (by 0.1) than weapons made of other materials, except daggers, bows, and arrows. In relative terms, this means Stahlrim swords and greatswords receive the greatest benefit within their respective weapon categories, as they start out with the least stagger.
- 3 samples of stalhrim are obtained by mining stalhrim deposits, which take twice as long to mine as other ore veins (six "swings" per sample instead of three).
- Stalhrim can only be mined with an ancient Nordic pickaxe.
- Stalhrim armor is heavy armor, made from stalhrim samples, quicksilver ingots, and leather strips.
- Stalhrim light armor is made from stalhrim samples, steel ingots, and leather strips.
- Stalhrim weapons are made from stalhrim samples and leather strips.
All stalhrim armor and weapons can be found in leveled lists starting at level 35. Stalhrim will respawn with the rest of their location after a certain period of time.
There are no random locations for Stalhrim. However:
- Baldor Iron-Shaper sells up to four pieces at a 75% chance each.
There are a total of 19 deposits located on Solstheim:
|Stalhrim Source||10||Found in a hollow at the site.|
|Gyldenhul Barrow||2||The deposits are located in the entrance chamber and one must be mined to proceed further into the barrow.|
|Kolbjorn Barrow||2||Found right before the entrance of the chambers to Ahzidal's fight.|
|Northeast of Northshore Landing off the coast, on an unnamed island||2||Two sarcophagi containing one deposit each, half submerged in ice.|
|Benkongerike||1||Mined from a sarcophagus in the bottom west corner of the room before the word wall room. Magelight or Candlelight greatly aid in finding it as the sarcophagus is in a very dark area.|
|Bloodskal Barrow||1||Found in a hidden room behind the waterfall in Raven Rock Mine.|
|Raven Rock Mine||1||Found in a room at the bottom of the mine shaft.|
Stalhrim Light Armor
|Name (ID)||Raw Materials||Delta||Ratio|
|Stalhrim Light Armor
|Stalhrim Light Boots
|Stalhrim Light Bracers
|Stalhrim Light Helmet
|Totals (with shield):||23||2420||108||17||5||10|
|Totals (without shield):||13||1820||78.5||13||4||9|
Stalhrim Heavy Armor
|Name (ID)||Raw Materials||Delta||Ratio|
|Stalhrim Heavy Armor
|Stalhrim Heavy Boots
|Stalhrim Heavy Gauntlets
|Stalhrim War Axe
|0||7||20||N/A||3600††††||N/A||1 Stalhrim + 1 Firewood = 24 Stalhrim ArrowsDG||-6||-37||0.00||0.82|
One achievement is unlocked when you craft an item from stalhrim:
- Stalhrim heavy equipment offers the most armor points per unit weight (102 armor, 59 weight, 1.73 armor per weight) of any forgeable heavy armor, and with only a 5% loss in overall defense compared to the best heavy armor, Daedric (108 armor, 81 weight, 1.33 armor per weight). Wolf Armor offers the most armor points per unit weight (72 armor, 32 weight, 2.25 apw), but with a significant loss of armor points compared to Stalhrim (29% less armor than Stalhrim, 33% less armor than Daedric); it is, however, the lightest heavy armor suit. Once you reach the armor cap better armor no longer helps you, so weight becomes the only meaningful factor; contrarily, the Conditioning perk and the Steed Stone make weight meaningless, so only armor matters. If you have both, your choice of heavy armor becomes purely cosmetic.
- If Deor Woodcutter or Fanari Strong-Voice are killed prior to completing A New Source of Stalhrim, you will never be able to learn to forge stalhrim yourself.
- Stalhrim items are frequently for sale from Solstheim vendors and always benefit from the Ebony Smithing perk when tempered, regardless of quest status.
- Stalhrim has no heavy shield; only the light variety exists. However, the weight class of a shield does not affect the game in any way.
- 10 pieces of stalhrim are needed for the Halbarn Favor Quest.
- "Stál hrím" is Icelandic for "steel frost".
- Unlike in Bloodmoon, stalhrim in Skyrim cannot be used as an alchemy ingredient.
- Stalhrim weapons have higher stagger values (by 0.1) than weapons made of other materials, except daggers, bows, and arrows.