The Madman is a Nord bandit found in the wilds of Solstheim. He has apparently been driven mad from reading a Black Book, and will direct you towards it. He wears ragged boots and ragged robes, and carries some scribblings.
- Black Book: Retrieve a Black Book from a dungeon.
Approaching him, he says: "I know things. Hidden things. Things you aren't supposed to know." This presents three options to reply:
- Slow down there. What are you going on about?: "You don't believe me. No one does. They don't want to. I don't want to either. But I can't help it. They're in my head!"
- Ummm... Are you alright?: "No! That's what I'm trying to say. The secrets. They're in there. In there deep. Can't get them out. They're in my head."
- Whoa. Not so close: "Good idea. They might leak out. Don't want them crawling into your head, too. Like me. They're in my head. Right now. Saying things."
The conversation then follows with more ramblings, after which he becomes hostile and attacks you with his fists:
- What's in your head?
- "Secret hidden things."
- Secrets? What kind of secrets?
- "The secret kind!"
- Alright then. Where did you learn these secrets?
- "The Black Book. It shoved them in there. With black slick fingers. My fingers are too short. I can't get them out."
- Where did you find this Black Book?
- "Oh no. I didn't find it. It found me. Here. I'll show you. See. Right there. But don't go there. You don't want these things in your head. You don't!"
- I can see this is going nowhere. Good luck with all that.
- "Luck won't help. I need something to pry these things out of my head. Why won't anyone listen to me? Listen to me! They're in my head!"
- He can be encountered on more than one occasion.
- Even though he is not supposed to be flagged as essential, the madman may not be killable, instead dropping into the recovery position, then resuming hostility when he recovers.
- Quickly leave the area while he is recovering. When you return to the area, he will still be hostile, but you will be able to kill him.