|This page is currently being rewritten as part of the Skyrim Quest Redesign Project.
The page is being rewritten and checked in several stages. All users are welcome to make changes to the page. If you make a change that is relevant to the project, please update this template accordingly, and make sure you have observed the project guidelines.
- Be informed of your inherited debt by Mogrul.
- Pay the debt or kill Mogrul.
After the completion of the quest Reluctant Steward you will be made aware of a debt that Drovas Relvi owed to a money lender by the name of Mogrul. Now that Drovas is under the protection of Neloth and out of Mogrul's reach, Mogrul expects you to make good on Drovas' debt. To help entice you to pay the debt, he will send his thugs after you until the debt is paid.
There are multiple dialogue options when discussing this with Mogrul:
|I'm so sorry! Here, take the money.||See, that wasn't so hard, now was it. Now get outta here.||Pay 1000 gold|
|And if I don't pay you?||Nothing for now. But watch your back. I'll be sending collectors to find you. They won't ask so nicely. One way or the other, I'll get my money.|
|Or I could just kill you now.||Take your best shot, fetcher! But if you draw on me, the guards will put the bounty on your head, not mine.|
|Please be patient. I'll get you your money.||Patience is for fools. When you are tired of looking over your shoulder, you'll pay me.|
|How about you take half? (Intimidate)||Passed: Uh... yeah. That sounds good. Half. I think that will work.
Failed: How about I don't. You don't scare me.
|Passed: Pay 500 gold
If you don't want to pay Mogrul, your only alternative is to kill him, with the risk of the Redoran Guard intervening to stop you. However, if you are observant of your surroundings while you are in Mogrul's hometown of Raven Rock you can detect Mogrul and his bodyguard Slitter approaching you to demand that you pay up if you haven't been informed of your debt yet. He will follow you out of town if you are patient and don't run too far ahead, allowing you to discreetly dispatch him without drawing the guards' ire. You can also visit Drovas and inform him of Mogrul's harassment. While he will not be willing to pay the debt on his own initiative, you can persuade him to provide you with whatever money he can to help you pay off the debt.
- Before the quest Mogrul is essential and you can't kill him. However, he will no longer be essential during the quest and you can choose to kill him to solve this problem if you prefer to handle things that way.
- If you hide inside the Retching Netch and ask your follower to do the killing, you may be lucky and avoid the bounty.
- Using Mora's Grasp on a possible witness helps when trying to kill Mogrul quietly.
- If you don't want to kill him nor lose the money, you can pay him and quickly pickpocket him before he has finished responding to your payment. The gold will still be in his inventory and you can steal it back. If you wait to pickpocket him until after he's done speaking, the gold will be gone.
- Another way to deal with Mogrul is to sneak behind the wall surrounding the Retching Netch stairs and make sure his bodyguard blocks his gaze on you. Take one invisibility potion, hit the bodyguard with a powerful bow/arrow/poison (must be a single strike kill). Then, immediately take another invisibility potion. If Captain Veleth or any other Redoran Guard is near, he will come to see what happened and start a fight with Mogrul, since there is a corpse and no one else around to blame. Now, relax and watch the outcome.
- Alternatively, find a good hiding spot in the marketplace, and hit Mogrul with a Fury spell (silent casting helps). The Redoran Guard that Mogrul claimed would take you out, would then take him out. Some of the townsfolk he had been harassing also get to join in the fray this way.
- If Mogrul is killed inside the Retching Netch while you are hidden, Slitter will search for you. If you unhide so that he finds you and then attacks you and you flee outside, he will not follow you. Subsequently, even if you immediately re-enter the Retching Netch, Slitter will not be hostile to you, and will still tell you to talk to Mogrul.
- This bug is fixed by version 1.0.5 of the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.
- Mogrul can still send thugs after you, even though this quest has been completed.
- This bug is fixed by version 2.0.3 of the Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.
- The following empty quest stages were omitted from the table: 10, 50.
|This Dragonborn-related article is a stub. You can help by .|