- Receive a letter from a fellow vampire.
- Meet and speak to the vampire contact.
- Travel to the dungeon named by your contact.
- Find the knight within the dungeon.
- Injure, but do not kill, the knight.
- Return to your vampire contact within the time limit and collect your reward.
The Obstinate Warlord
When your bloodline requires your assistance, they contact you:
- A pale young boy hands you a letter before scurrying away with agility.
Open the letter in your inventory, which reads simply:
- Dear (player's name),
- (Bloodline) need you. Come
- Yours in Death,
- (Vampire's name)
Travel to the town and building named in the letter. Meet your vampire tribe member within, who says:
- "Ah, good evening, my tribesman. We are having difficulty with a local warlord who, despite our many, many polite verbal and written threats, continues to wage a war against (bloodline). Ordinarily, this irksome knight would have been in the hereafter weeks ago. Our mercy is not sprung from sentiment. We could use (warlord's name) as an ally in (region), but (he/she) needs to be taught obedience. I want you to have a talk with (him/her) in (dungeon) where (he/she) feels most secure. Don't kill (him/her) -- just rough (him/her) up a bit. I'll expect you back in (time limit) days after (warlord's name) has been ... softened."
The warlord is waging this private war against your vampire bloodline from the safety of the dungeon. Enter this dungeon and seek out your opponent, taking care of any resistance along the way.
The warlord appears as a knight, and attacks you on sight. But remember, your task is to "persuade" the belligerent knight to stop attacking your brethren. If you are especially powerful, you may wish to switch to lesser weapons or spells for the duration of the encounter, for if the knight dies, you will fail the quest. When the warlord has taken enough punishment, you will hear one of:
- "Sweet (random god), tell (bloodline) that I'll do anything! Just don't kill me!"
- "(Oath), I surrender! I'll do anything they want, just please, in the name of (random god), don't kill me!"
The knight will stop attacking you, but take care if there any nearby enemies; they not stop attacking you, and if accidentally struck again, the warlord will resume attacking you as well.
If you go too far and kill the warlord, a message appears:
- (Warlord's name) is dead. (Vampire's name) will not be pleased.
Once you are done with your task, leave the dungeon and return to your contact.
If you successfully intimidated the warlord into compliance, your vampire contact will give you a piece of jewelry as a reward and say:
- "(Warlord's name) is half out of (his/her) mind, (player's first name). What a terror you are. (Bloodline) feel that you deserve this (jewelry) in recognition of your loyalty and remarkable ... restraint in this matter. Well done, tribesman."
If you instead killed the warlord, you will simply be told:
- "I've already heard, (player's first name). You slew (warlord's name) though I specifically told you only to frighten (him/her). (Oath), you're no better than a thug, are you? (Bloodline) and I are very disappointed, (player's first name)."
A successfully completed quest results in a reputation gain according to the table below.
A failed quest results in a reputation loss according to the table below.
(Allies/Enemies affiliations for listed factions are not considered.)
The Vampire Bloodline will always be the dominant bloodline of the region were the quest takes places.
- Random dungeon monsters
- Quest Target: One Knight you must not kill
After you have accepted this quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "If (warlord's name) doesn't watch out, those vampires are going to turn on (him/her)."
- "(Warlord's name thinks (he/she) knows about vampires. But (he/she)'s a fool."
If you fail the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Warlord's name) has moved across the Bay, but (he/she)'s keeping an eye on the vampires."
- "(Warlord's name)'s not afraid of any vampires. Killed thousands of 'em, I hear."
If you successfully complete the quest, NPCs may say when asked for any news:
- "(Warlord's name) got taught the lesson of (his/her) life. It doesn't pay to fight vampires."
- "(Warlord's name) was a stupid do-gooder. Just leave the vampires alone, I say."
|Finishes Quest||Journal Entry|
|0||(Date): I received a letter from (vampire's name), of (bloodline) of (town). I am needed in (building) as soon as possible.|
|1||(Date): (Vampire's name) wants me to go to (dungeon) and throttle (warlord's name), a knight who refuses to bend to the will of (bloodline). I am ordered not to kill (him/her), just frighten (him/her), and be back in (town) in (time limit) days.|